31 October 2009

life at brigade

It's rained here 5 times since I've been here, and I think fall is finally here. It's a welcome change from the 100+ degree days.

I continue to be surprised at the difference between the brigade and division. At the staff meetings I learn how things really work, as opposed to the division level where they just tell the brigades what to do and don't support their work. There are a lot of sharp people here, especially the commander. There are also others like the leader of the provincial reconstruction team leader. They do so much to help the people of Iraq, like helping them make the best of their resources (like dates and honey). The leader is fascinating. I could listen to her stories for hours. She's been all over the world and was told us about the time she stayed with Mother Theresa for a month or so. Unbelievable.



This week went by really fast. I hope the next couple weeks go by just as quickly. I can't believe it's Halloween already. The only good thing about that is that the Simpson's Treehouse of Horror is on for like 7 hours. I do miss the holidays like this one that I spend with the kids. There's a haunted house here and they do a good job of trying to make it like back in the states, but the more they do, the more I miss home.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

We miss the holidays with you too! Especially days like today when I have to go out in the cold and take the kids trick-or-treating. I miss you doing that and me staying in the comforts of our toasty home.

Katie said...

Hang in there Dan...you'll be home before you know it! And you can just plan to celebrate Halloween with the kids whenever you get home....a little Trick or Treating in winter time would be fun, right?!?!

Katie M.